• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Gingko Haiku
billclark

Gingko Haiku

Back in early September of last year I posted a piece entitled Falling Gingko Leaves. This was a new design for me but still followed the Oriental/Asian theme I have been working with. The response to the piece was favorable so I decided to make a set of three as I have done with some of my previous pieces. I like the challenge of working with sets. They also allow multiple opportunities for presentation placement, which adds an element of visual impact for the viewer. For this set I carefully measured all of the various features of the large piece and scaled the dimensions for the other two by 15 and 30 percent respectively. Everything, including the Gingko leaf outline brands, was scaled in size. Only the dark field brand was left in the original size as it would have been if a set of woven baskets were made from the same material.

As with the original piece the lids demanded a great deal of time. They had to be turned thick enough to support the inside lip, beads and texturing on the outside ring and yet be consistently thin (1/16) for the pierced section and thick again for the beaded base of the handles. After turning the lids I branded the Gingko leaves and hand burned the pattern inside the outline. I then pierced around the leaves in a random pattern. The branded and textured sections were finished in black and the rest was stained. The insides are finely sanded and finished in a natural color. They were then sealed with a Krylon Matte Finish. The largest piece is 5-15/16 in diameter. They are made of Big Leaf Maple.

Your comments and critiques are welcomed.
Reactions: Ligia Rodrigues
Hi Bill: I commented on these on WOW, but forgot to say...I immediately coveted these 3 pieces. It's rare that I see things, that I would like in my own home. but these rev my engine. Super pieces. Congrats on pic of the day also

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billclark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename