• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Honey Locust Platter
Peter Jacobson

Honey Locust Platter

12.5" x 2.5"
Abalone inlay
Strikingly beautiful

Wow! Striking grain and colour, and the rim is a great contrast - well done. How did you do the abalone inlay?
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Wow! Striking grain and colour, and the rim is a great contrast - well done. How did you do the abalone inlay?
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!
The abalone comes in little chips. I made a groove in the rim, filled it with the chips and then put in CA glue. Sand it down and fill in some of the gaps... and more sanding.

The abalone comes in little chips. I made a groove in the rim, filled it with the chips and then put in CA glue. Sand it down and fill in some of the gaps... and more sanding.
Thanks Peter. That makes more sense than a solid inlay in curved sections. How fine did you go with the sandpaper so the scratches didn't show in the abalone/CA glue?
Cheers,
Barry

Thanks Peter. That makes more sense than a solid inlay in curved sections. How fine did you go with the sandpaper so the scratches didn't show in the abalone/CA glue?
Cheers,
Barry
Barry,
I sanded conventionally up to 400 or 600, followed by abrasive paste (equivalent to 2000 grit). The abalone is much harder than the wood, so you have to be careful not to oversand the wood as you take down the shell high points.

Barry,
I sanded conventionally up to 400 or 600, followed by abrasive paste (equivalent to 2000 grit). The abalone is much harder than the wood, so you have to be careful not to oversand the wood as you take down the shell high points.
Thanks Peter. This is helpful. Sounds like a harder sanding block might help a bit with the hardness difference. I really would like to try some of these inlay techniques as they make terrific accents on the right piece - of course first I need to create the right piece....
Cheers,
Barry

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Peter Jacobson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings