• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
inside-out platter
john lucas

inside-out platter

This is a platter I turned out of mahagony that was turned using inside-out turning techniques. I glued 4 pieces together and tuned one side. Then I cut them apart and rotated each piece 180 degrees and glued them back together. Then I turned the back. I put this on the vacuum chuck and then returned a portion of the front in the middle.
When you look at this piece in normal roomlight the wood is all the same color but I could not photograph it without half the platter looking darker. interesting.
It's about 16" on the diagonal and about 1/4" thick at the edges. I carved it to add a little excitement to the edges.
Reactions: Bob Raasch
Malcom I think it has possibilities also. I'm working on the next generation now. I'm not sure where this is going. I've only seen it done once before. I've seen a lot of other inside-out turnings but only one inside out platter.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
john lucas
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename