• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Into the Unknown
Gabriel Hoff

Into the Unknown

This unique style bowl was one that caught my eye when I saw it. I decided to try and create the form, not knowing what I was getting into. Needless to say it turned out very nicely! I named the title after, one--getting into the unknown about turning it and two--because it reminds me of a black hole in the solar system. The sloping sides and narrow base and foot creates a look of plunging into a endless, unknown hole. Wood is quarter sawn White Oak and it is turned to a very thin light wall. Finished with wax. Size is approx. 7" in diameter and 2" tall. Let me know what you guys think!!
I have turned that form many times, both in smaller and larger sizes, though normally in a pure uninterrupted flowing shape, yes I like that shape.

Nicely done Gabriel! I love the detail on the interior, not sure about the foot detail. My eye wants that to be a continuous curve. Of course I am overdue for a trip to LensCrafters, lol!! Don’t get too close to a Black Hole (that’s the rumor)!!

Nicely done Gabriel! I love the detail on the interior, not sure about the foot detail. My eye wants that to be a continuous curve. Of course I am overdue for a trip to LensCrafters, lol!! Don’t get too close to a Black Hole (that’s the rumor)!!
Thank you Russ! I thought about a continuous curve, but I thought it would look to plain. Of course next time I can try that!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename