• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Isabel's Phoenix I
Natural Edge open form harvested from a Chestnut Oak tree toppled by hurricane ISABEL.
Finished with two coats of Original Waterlox and wet sanded to 1000 grit with lemon oil.

Base Diameter:2"
Maximum Width: 12 3/8" dia.
Maximum Hieght: 7 1/2"
Wall Thickness: 1/4"

Note: New Photo uploaded 5/3/2008
Allen - nice piece, this wood has a large dark sapwood that gives the piece nice contrast in my opinion. Do you happen to know what kind of wood it is?

Hi Jeff,

I turned this open form from a chunk of oak. There are at least three different species of oak known to be in the area were the tree fell: White, red and pin. There may be others. There were no leaves to examine as we are still in the very early throws of spring.

I cut the blank from the base of the tree very near where it had broken away from a sister trunk.

It was most likely a red oak, but I'm all ears if you can shed some additional light on the subject. By the way, the "Oaken Spheroid I" hollow form that I uploaded yesterday was cut from the same tree, about 30 feet above this piece.

Best Regards,
Allen

Nice piece Allen! I looks like it's ready to take flight.

Jeff and Paul,

Spring has brought an opportunity to revisit the tree which gave us "Isabel's Phoenix I" and the "Oaken Spheroid". The leaves that popped out of the main trunk (still standing) combined with the properties of the bark have made it easy to ID the species: Quercus prinus, otherwise known as the Chestnut Oak. The bark has a very high tannin content, which might explain the deep color gradiation of the sapwood. (At one time the bark was used to tan leather.) There are dozens of these trees on my property!

While doing some research on the identity of this tree I ran across a particularly good web site at Vanderbilt University:

http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/pages/compare-oaks.htm

The site provides high resolution images of trees and is set up to make it easy to do comparisons of closely related species. FYI.

Paul, your comment about the flight-worthiness of the piece caused me to do a double-take on the color pattern on its front. By golly, there appears to be a pretty good rendition of a wing staring right at us!

Best Regards,
-Allen

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Allen Alexopulos
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings