• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Kava Time
Terry Scott

Kava Time

Kava time
I Just came across this photo of a piece I did a couple of years ago for the Franklin Arts (don't know when as I didn't date it )Competition .Ancient kauri
Turned in one piece .I cut out the shape of the wings or handles before turning.
After a bit of carving the tapa cloth was inlayed .Both sides have been inlayed and textured.
I entered this piece in decorated platters not reading the instructions properly .The supreme award was an acquisition award. (The sponsor ended up with the piece)
I did end up with some prize money but it was well less that what I could have sold the work for. Even back then .I still look at the red ribbon sometimes and think yes that was part of the journey.
The piece at the time was the biggest I had turned with a wing span of 34 inches 860mm .no skew was used back then
The spoon was turned and then carved.
Quite a challenge for a relative new turner the heart was pumping as the sound went chop chop chop
This is one piece I did sign but I regret that I didnt have proper photos done so I have lost the record of the back forever .Kelly yes signing pieces like this is important but a history of ones growth would have to be above that in importance .
Comments welcome
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings