• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Levitate
Dave Landers

Levitate

Big Leaf Maple Burl. Dyed maple leg and finial. About 9.5" tall. Lacquer finish.
Couple other views:
IMG_8699-scaled.jpg

IMG_8702-scaled.jpg

This is very cool, Dave! I love the concept. Can you talk about the bent leg a bit? Did you carve or bend it?
Sure!
I started with a cap turned from scrap that fit into the hole where the finial is now. I hot-glued that to the hollow form and glued in a couple lengths of wire (12 ga from my electrical junk bin). That allowed me to experiment with the leg(s). One idea was 2 legs with the bottom of the HF as a 3rd support. But I settled on this single-leg "levitation" form with the leg going into the base.
The wire then served as a rough guide for cutting out the leg shape. It was cut from a 1/4" thick piece of maple, then carved and sanded round (ish). I left it long on both ends thru the sanding, dye (India ink), and finishing steps. Then I test-fit it into the HF and trimmed the top to length. Ground/sanded down the end so it'd fit into the hole in the bottom of the finial, and epoxied those two pieces together. Next the bottom end got the same length adjustment and sanded down to fit into the hole in the base. Then threaded the leg thru the HF and epoxied the finial in.
A bit of test-fitting and hole adjustment with the leg in the base to ensure the HF was standing straight, and finally epoxying the leg into the base.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the process. A lot of work, but fun and totally worth it! I can imagine my own thoughts if I were to make something like this--"this is gonna be so cool. hope it works. I'm so excited!" Good stuff, Dave.

Nicely done Dave. I love that the leg is wood; it’s very unwood looking. I love how the base and vessel are the same material, not easy to do, not done very often.

Nicely done Dave. I love that the leg is wood; it’s very unwood looking. I love how the base and vessel are the same material, not easy to do, not done very often.
Thanks, Russ!
I like the continuity of the same wood spanning across the air gap of a leg or stem. I do that with my goblets, too.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dave Landers
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device