• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Lilac -one
P

Lilac -one

Showing both sides of the first of 12 cross-sections of an old Lilac tree that will be assembled with its mates into a sculpture when I figure out how to do that. The carving/texturing on the ‘natural’ raises the stakes and interest considerably – although adding colour (not shown here) not so much I find. Spent much time going around and around in circles, again, with all the “finishing” alternatives - to pop the grain (necessarily oil-based), preserve its color, AND harden the surface. Saw NO significant differences among ALL the alternatives and ended up with “danish oil” then wipe-on poly AGAIN. I swear to never go around those finishing circles again! Although Peter Hyde has put me onto a “sanding paste” that gives a fantastic ‘glossy’ very sensual finish that might outshine the Beal buffing system! Comments, reactions, suggestions welcome.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Peter Rand
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename