• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
LK 41-42 "Beacon Lights"
Honoring Washoe Native American Basket Weaver LOUISA KEYSER
LK 41-42 “Beacon Lights”. End grain Hard Maple, 10 ½” diameter and 8” high, over 100,000 burn lines on the beads or the equivalence of over 50,000 stitches.
Thanks John. I did not know how to attache a PDF here so I added them in the forum following your discussion on basket illusion.

Yes it was an epic experience with a lot of first for me and that blow up... To burn a rectangle and color one design it took me on average of 25 minutes (you do have to correct the mistakes if you have some, and with burn lines spacing less than a millimeter, on the coloring, I had some). I do have 50 designs outside and 50 inside. Another average of 30 minutes minutes to burn the rectangle between the design and again 50 outside and 50 inside. I had an average of 29 burn line per inch, except on the last row of the design inside to avoid an over lapping with the design of the row above where I had to go to 34 burn lines per inch. Then I had to control the temperature of my burning tip. If it was too hot with 29 burn lines per inch I will be basically all burn. On the real basket as shown on the PDF's on your Forum discussion you hardly see the line between the stitches and I was trying to replicate that. What an artist this Louisa Keyser, certainly the best Native American Basket Weaver of all time.

@Jean-Louis Meynier Thanks for sharing the details. I had seen your earlier post (mid April about tooling for beading inside a neck) and was waiting to see your finished piece; really great! Your imitation of the stitching has improved from the previous (basket illusion n°5) which was already very impressive. Has your tooling evolved? As for Louisa Keyser, what an inspiration!, yes her baskets are beautiful. Quite a challenge, handled very well.

I suggest you submit this to American Woodturner as a how-to article or perhaps just the member gallery

Media information

Album
Basket Illusion
Added by
Jean-Louis Meynier
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device