• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Manzanita and resin vase
A

Manzanita and resin vase

This by far is my largest cast piece to date. I just finished it Saturday. It started out as a 15lb. Mazanita burl and then I added 168oz. of tinted resin.

Overall I am pretty happy with the result. I like the proportions and this is probably my favorite color combination in resin. Generally I pick resin colors based on the colors of the wood and this has some similar coloration's to my native mesquite. this is my favorite combo with the mesquite so I figured I would try it with the Manzanita.

It is about 12 1/2" tall and over 8" in diameter so it is a pretty good size piece. It is a bit over 1/8" thick but I tapered the bottom 3 1/2" to a bit over 3/16" for weight at the bottom as a request by a gallery that I show at.

As always open to cheers or jeers.

Thanks for looking
Excellent balance between wood and resin, nicely done.

James I use a polyurethane resin. The brand I use is Alumilite. For this application IMHO it is better than polyester resins.

Alan

Gorgeous. I have been meaning to do somethhing like this. You said a gallon of resin to do this, huh? Do you rough hollow before you cast it, filling the inside with a sandbag or something to hold shape, but easily remove?

Steve,

The wood portion of the vessel is left solid just rough turned exterior. You cannot form tight around the piece as the resin has to flow. But the form is generally shaped the same as the wood portion of the vessel only larger.

Thanks for the kind words.

Alan

This turning is pretty wild. It looks like an oddly shaped planet with seas of flowing algae blooms. The form is excellent as well.

I would love to try something like this, but from my estimation your blank cost well over $150. I'm sure you'll get you're money out of it, but that's an expensive blank to put spin on the lathe. The risk that people like you and segmenters take confounds me. I'll stick to found wood, though I may try some resin blanks on a much smaller scale.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Trout
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device