• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Maple letter openers
Ken Grunke

Maple letter openers

A few of us over at the Woodturner's Resource forums were playing around with designs for a wooden letter opener, and this is what I ended up with. You can see that forum thread here:
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213567952/0

These Maple openers are 6" long, and turned from 3/4" square stock. Finish is wipe-on Polyurethane. The profile for the blade was turned, then waste cut away with the bandsaw and shaping done with a belt sander, carving knife, file, and sandpaper to give a blade thickness of about 3/16".

The signature is a chemical transfer from a printing on regular paper from my old laser printer, hooked up to my Mac.
Very nice Ken, but I don't understand how you acheived the signature on the blade.

Hi Gary, there's two ways of doing that, starting with a reverse printing from any laser printer.
The first is heat transfer, and Penn State offers an electric hand-held transfer tool used to iron the ink through the paper onto most any surface. Follow this link:
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/egtool.html

The other way is chemical transfer, using a solvent to moisten the backside of the paper and moderate pressure for about a minute. On another forum, Ron Sardo posted that Xylene works well and perhaps other solvents. I had no Xylene but had some liquid varnish remover that worked fine. Just a light dabbing on the backside of the paper is all you need--too much, and it smears.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Ken Grunke
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device