• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Marco Polo's Treasures
billclark

Marco Polo's Treasures

As with my prior pieces, this set is graduated. The tallest vessel (6 1/2) has the smallest diameter lid (4). The shortest vessel (4) has the largest diameter lid (5). The handles are also scaled in size. Each piece is branded with a tip of my own design. The colored rings, lids and handle tops are impact compression textured. The branded areas are finished with black gesso and then sprayed with a matte finish. The textured rings, lids and handle tops are finished with various metallic artist colors, which throws off a nice iridescent metal look. The beaded rings and handle bases are airbrushed with a custom color blend. It took me a while to find the right combination that pulled the metallic and black colors together. The wood is big leaf maple. The vessel sides are just over 1/8 thick. The insides of each piece and lid are finely sanded and finished in the natural color.

I have often wondered what Marco Polo brought back from his journeys to show the western world. I imagine his selections would have been of both a practical and Oriental nature. These are the qualities I was striving to attain with this set entitled Marco Polos Treasures.
Reactions: Ligia Rodrigues
Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate the support and kind words. I'm taking these to Hartford so everyone can see them in person. Please say hello if you attend.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billclark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename