• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Milo Calabash / Umeke
George Guadiane

Milo Calabash / Umeke

Milo is a BEAUTIFUL hardwood native to Hawaii, and very prized. I was lucky to get this and several other fairly substantial pieces on one of my trips there.
This bowl is 6 7/8 inches in diameter by 5 1/2 inches high.
The finish is nothing more than oil and bees wax, much like a native finish.
As always, comments welcome.
i like your bowl, not that i have any plans for the big island, but are their any restrictions to bringing blanks back to the states??????

Very nice George! I love working with Milo (pronounced meelo.) It turns so nicely. And for those enjoying the photo, as good as the photo is it doesn't convey the color, figure and texture of this wood. It is lovely to look at and hold. For some reason Milo just cries out to be touched, at least to me.

And for Bait Beggar! If you come to Hawaii (big island or one of the other islands) and want to take wood home, call the USDA agricultural inspection office in Hawaii (808 933 6930)and check to see if there are any changes in the restrictions. I brought some wood to the mainland for someone a few months ago and they told me they prefered that the bark be removed and the wood cleaned (not dirty or dusty....they want to be able to see the wood surface easily), and no visible evidence of insects. Otherwise, no restrictions. Don't try to carry an apple back from Hawaii though!! They will get you for sure!!

And one little note BaitBeggar! If you do get over here, it is considered bad form in Hawaii to say you are going to the States. Some take offense at that and will remind you Hawaii is one of the States. Better to say you are heading to the mainland. (for a chuckle, I had a friend on the mainland who was coming here for a honeymoon and wrote me asking if they needed a passport! Yeeks! )

If any of you head over here holler at me and I will be happy to help you find a source of good wood to carry home. You are always welcome to whatever I have on hand as well.

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!

Dave

BaitBegger, Dave pretty much covered it, except for the part where I get to thank you both for your compliments. I WAS going to Hawaii a couple of times a year, till I decided to move over there. It's been almost 2 years now, and I'm really getting eager to make the move. I am a lifelong surfer and have only been turning for a few years.
Dave,
MOST of the island woods are much nicer to hold than to photograph!
I have mailed back hundreds of pounds of wood collected from friends on Oahu. I was told that so long as it wasn't a flower or fruit, I could pretty much send whatever I wanted. I have sent pieces with bark on them, everything has arrived (so far). One uke maker got into some beautiful Kamani which he shared with me (for a reasonable fee). So far, the Koa, Milo Kamani and Mango sit in the "special" area of my shop. Waiting for me. No sell, no trade (not selfish, I just don't have enough of it here). Now if you need great NE Hardwoods.... I got em'
For now, I work with fine local woods. Like you Dave (I assume), I have local sources that keep me fully supplied. When I get to Oahu, I WILL make a trip over to the Big Island! I hope to do local shows and fairs when I get there.

the big island , the mainland, the mainland, ole cap cooke liked the big island about this time didn't he????

Baitbeggar!

Ole Capn Cooke liked it at first, but after leaving Kealakekua Bay and immedietly having problems with his ship that forced him to return his problems grew! That second landing at Kealakekua Bay did not go nearly as well. He had an altercation with the locals when they figured out he wasn't a god, that his boats had great nails in them that were very useful when liberated from the wood, and that they didn't like the fact that his crew would be eating up all the victuals in the area for the second time in a very short while. Pushes led to shoves and the next thing you know he has a monument erected on the shore to his death. I say this lightly, but it was tragic, especially given the fact that he generally got along well with the locals wherever he landed around the world and just seemed to lose his cool this one time. A real loss.

George! I noticed you are in NY? What region? I am not familiar with the town name. I grew up in CT and my wife is from Saratoga Springs. We get up there every few years to visit her family.

Definately check out the Big Island next time you are here. It is my favorite island with Kauai being second, maybe Maui or Molokai being 3rd. If you surf I understand the attraction of Oahu!! They have some fine waves on the North Shore. I can point you to surfing spots on the Big Island, but they can't compare with the gazillion foot waves of the north shore. That stuff is scary for me to watch from well inland. Can't imagine being on those suckers!

Be sure to post your other Hawaiian woods as you get them turned! Will look forward to seeing what you do with them and how you enjoyed turning them!

Dave

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata