• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
My Grandmother's Cherry Tree
B

My Grandmother's Cherry Tree

Platter. Cherry/Walnut. I made this platter for my father for his 92nd birthday. It is made of wood from the tree mentioned in the poem. The full text of the poem is as follows:
I dont remember my Grandmother,
But I remember her Cherry tree.
My Grandmother died when I was three.
My Father came and woke my older brother and me.
It was early in the morning when he told us.
I did not understand.
I remember because Id never seen my Father so sad.
They tell me she was a pretty woman of elfin proportion,
And pixyish demeanor.
That she loved her garden, her flowers and her trees.
That she loved to laugh.
I imagine her beneath her Cherry tree in the Spring,
Laughing as the pink petals fell,
Cherry blossom snowflakes caught in her flowing hair.
Later in the Summer baking pies,
Filled with love and black sweet cherries.
Rescued by her sons from greedy birds,
Who thought the tree was theirs.
She taught her sons to love the garden,
The flowers and the trees.
My father taught me too,
And I remember climbing the rough black bark,
Of my Grandmothers Cherry tree,
To rescue the ripe black cherries for my Mother.
The tree died too in its time,
And was cut down when it became a danger,
To the home where she raised her sons.
But they saved a piece of the trees wooden heart,
In memory of their youth.
I dont remember my Grandmother,
But I remember her Cherry tree.
My father gave the last of the wood from the tree some twenty years ago. Unfortunately by the time it was cut down the tree had been substantially damaged by carpenter ants and the trunk was mostly hollow. I looked at that wood for years trying to find the right use for it. The largest pieces were less than an inch thick and all showed signs of age and cracking. A couple of years ago I began writing the poem. It went through a number of revisions before arriving at the present version. In the end it just seemed fitting that the poem and the wood were made for each other and a platter was the only suitable form. I fitted the butterflies (walnut from a tree my father grew that was struck by lightning) and turned the platter keeping as much of the natural character of the wood as possible. I printed the poem in script on my computer and taped it with a piece of carbon paper to the face. I traced the letters with a pencil. I wanted to burn the letters and I practiced for months with the smallest tip I had. In the end I was too afraid the burning would fill in the small font so I wrote over them with a Prismacolor 005 Archival Quality fine line marker. I cleared over them with wipe on poly after they had dried for a week.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Brian Rosencrantz
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename