• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Norberta
Silver Maple egg and Black Cherry base. The hot topic seems to be embellishment; funny timing, as this piece has a bunch of it! I used a round burr and carved away and stippled sections of the egg. Then I burned a fragment pattern on the surface, and lightly charred the egg with a torch. Finally, I dry brushed with 7 acrylic paints. The base is carved, pattern, textured, charred, and sanded. No paint, just natural wood colors. 6” x 3.5” x 3”.
Norberta is the name of a dragon in Harry Potter. :p

Some alternative views:

ZpioOFZ.jpg

HNVC8RG.jpg

Great timing, and nicely conceived and put together Michael! You seem to be adding new techniques at a rapid pace. Great job on the dry brushing.
I'm not sure what class description to enter it at the Florida state fair though ;).

Great job on the dry brushing.
I'm not sure what class description to enter it at the Florida state fair though ;).
Thanks Will! I’ve been trying to work on dry brushing in the background. This is the first piece I think I’m satisfied with. The most helpful thing for me was something Jacques Vesery apparently tells his students about dry brushing: “it needs more layers!” Lol

Which category, hmm? Haha, that made me laugh :p

Is the egg a box?
Nope, not a box. But I have a couple more in the works that will be boxes. I made this for a friend’s birthday gift. She likes some of my eggs, so I’m surprising her with her own egg.

Last edited:

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata