• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Norfolk lidded box
Dan Stevenson

Norfolk lidded box

NIP, Gaboon Ebony & Padauk hollow lidded box. 11"
I'm 95% certain this is Cook Pine. Unless it was a very young NIP. NIP has branches way bigger than that, and they are never even around the trunk, The heart wood is also a giveaway. Nice box!

@Emiliano Achaval Thanks.
It was from a top 9"d piece of a whole Norfolk/Cook I was given which was struck by lightning. The pith on this tree was very off centered so by re-rounding a blank perfectly centered on it, I'm able to show those nice bright red branches that normally may never even break the diameter surface of the trunk to become true branches. I have seen all levels of branch symmetry and numbering into the high teens. You never truly know until you're inside.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dan Stevenson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device