• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Permutation #45
Alan Carter

Permutation #45

This was one of my most challenging pieces to make. Once I had the design worked out and the main 2 vessels turned and assembled, I had to figure out how to attach them. Nothing like building on the fly.

I ended up using a piece of bendable wood for the support between the wenge vessel with the finial and the main body of figured maple. Took a little trial and error to get the thickness right. The holes for the pins were made by using spacers between the curved frame (again bendable wood) and drilling through both the frame and the vessel. Fortunately everything lined up right when I did the final assembly. The maple base and support frame were painted black. The figured maple vessel includes both piercing and stippling. The piercing doesn't go all the way through but makes a nice pattern.

The title refers to the fact that this is a variation on the split bowl vessels I've been making and it's tilted at 45 degrees. Lame, but there it is.

C&C always welcome

Figured maple, wenge, pau ferro, maple

16"Wx22"Hx4 1/2"D
a really beautiful piece of "wood art"
fantastic is better than excellent but the photo rating doesn't go that high, pity :)

Beautiful Alan, I like the base curve carry thru to the split dish another of your unmistakable pieces

Alan, your pieces always exhibit attention to detail that is first rate!

Turning of the Week, 09/12/11
AAW Home Page Photo

Thank you Kurt for selecting this for turning of the week. I'm honored to be chosen. Thanks to all the rest of you for your kind words.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Alan Carter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename