• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Pili
Eastern Red Cedar endgrain calabash form with a tiny foot for added lift. 6.25" diameter x 5.75" height. Turned, carved (rim), and woodburned. The interior is ebonized. Pili (singular pilus) is the technical term for the hairs found on bacteria (and humans, among other things). They serve multiple functions, one being regulating cell-cell interactions. Pili facilitate communication between independent beings, much like we are all connected to one another via our shared interests. Much like the "individual segments" of this piece come together to form a solid vessel.
Alternative view showing the other side of the vessel, as well as the bottom and small foot. I think the bottom view of these vessels may be my favorite. I didn't have the heart to cover up the color/grain, so this was a fun way to showcase.

QeKFg9W.jpeg

76O14g0.jpeg

Last edited:
Another beautiful piece, Michael. Interesting how the burned Pili almost - almost! - gives the impression of a carved texture similar to your "Winter Days" piece. Similar look without all the work! :) Very nice.

Thank you all for the kind words! I originally wanted to keep this unembellished, as I like the form and natural coloration quite a bit. But, the woodburner kept nudging me and I succumbed. Lol.

Interesting how the burned Pili almost - almost! - gives the impression of a carved texture similar to your "Winter Days" piece. Similar look without all the work!
Funny you mention that. That was my original plan with the burning. I wanted to lean into the illusion. However, I couldn't get the shadows to look quite right. I tried shading with a woodburning tip, brushing with paint, but nothing was good enough (at least at my skill level)---I think I'm going to invest in an airbrush system. Thinking outloud.---My failures left behind some blemishes, so I had to improvise. The hairs were a fun-ish choice, albeit a ton of work. Lost track of the time invested. Whew!

I love where you’re going with these Michael! That bottom is visually impressive. I like how your Pili was left hanging plumb vs the pattern. I’m oddly aware of my ear hair for some reason!!
Thanks a lot Russ! I'm working on a way to incorporate the look of the bottom with the rest of the vessel. Ideas... And, this is what I was doing when my carver broke lol. Pyro galore. Ear hair cracked me up haha.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device