• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Reclamation
George Guadiane

Reclamation

I submitted this for the turning green thing, wasn't accepted, but I like it nonetheless.
The natural hollow was from where a dead branch had been. The vase was cut from the same part of the same sugar maple.
The outside finish is shellac on oil sanding, rubbed out to a semi-gloss finish. The vase (pictured elsewhere) is also oil sanded to 600, shellacked and compounded to a high luster.

Width: 4 5/8
Depth: 3 3/8
Height: 8 5/8
Boy that's beautiful George. I'm going to assume it was rejected because it didn't meet the required form standard. Couldn't be because it wasn't pretty enough!

I think it's a great looking piece as well George. Really nice. Is the top of the vase formed to the piece it's inset in, or vice versa?

Thank you for the kind words. I am anxious to see the catalog myself, I thought this was kind of cool, and wonder what they were really looking for.
RT: I am REALLY lucky with "3-D vision." I looked through the vase blank pieces I had from this same tree and picked the one I thought would fit. I turned what I thought was a pleasing form... Because it was going to go into the opening, and wouldn't be held alone, I didn't turn it as thin as I would have otherwise. I took it off the chuck and slid it into place. It fit the opening and looked fairly pleasing. I figured how high it should go in the "front" and shaped the foot to fit that height. The only place the vase touches the opening is at the base, and only a little. I suppose I could have made the upper part a little larger, but the first piece looked good to me so I went with it. They are still two pieces.
I have started work on several more "art pieces" along this line.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Guadiane
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename