• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Red River
Terry Scott

Red River

Red River gum Burl
300mm high
This had me standing on my toes as it is as deep as I can go with my non pussy rig manual hollowers and without a steady.
To get rid of the chatter and to get a clean cut in the end to the inside I used the biggest gouge I have and turned it on its back and drew outwards cutting with both faces of the finger nail grind .Hard to explain but it worked a treat as I didnt sand the inside except around the bark line.
The Gum leaved legs are all one piece ,I was able to reverse mount the vase on a jamb chuck with masking tape to hold it on while I did the under cut of the feet ,even for me this was just a little out of my comfort zone as the work was only just holding on.
I cut down the side of one of the legs with a panel saw as I went so I could make sure that the form flowed through.
This is the second piece I have made from the lotto win I had at Christmas when a very good friend (a professional) turner for 30 years phoned and said Terry I have something I think you would like as I am throwing in the towel and will never use it .
He wouldnt take anything for the burl when offered so with 70 kg loaded into my Ute and a grin ear to ear I couldnt wait to get home and turn some of it .The hardest thing is going to decide how I should best utilise every last crumb.
One day I hope I will make a special piece and return the favour but it could be like giving tea to the Chinese. But I will get him back somehow
Comments welcome
It's sometimes funny how a piece can look so elegant and simple, yet be so difficult to make. This truly is elegant and the wood is gorgeous. You did your friend and this wood justice and then some. Love the leaves for the feet also. It's a natural beauty!
Don L.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata