• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Ripples top
Robbie Graham

Ripples top

"Ripples" (Toru V)

Wood: Spalted Tawa
Diameter: 320mm (12 -1/2")
Height: 85mm (3 - 3/8")
Finish: Rust and lacquer

I started this pieces a the Tauranga Woodcrafters Show in October last year and have been working on it off and on over the last couple of months to get it finished for an exhibition.
Sue my wife named this piece, as I couldn't come up with a name. The finish on the vessels is rust and I think it works quite well on this piece, what do you think?
I decided to carve the centre on this one and have no pyrography, a first for this series!
Comments welcome
very nice, i like the 3 forms joined, is the rust coloration the result of oil or other substance as finish??? is the joining wood tilted while turning or carving??

cool, thanks

question, is the bolt attached to the center of turning with the cup just using centrifugal force to act as a second point, the cup is not glued to the turning is it?

Hi Charlie, the bolt is holding the piece on the MDF faceplate and the cup is a locater, holding it the exact position to stop it sliding with centrifugal force. Does that make sense? Robbie

yes, thanks, the locater cup could be reused many times i guess, using different wood or embellments, do you have a name for these series of like turnings??

Yes, I have used it on the last three and plan on using on more. The series is called Toru, which means three in Maori. Robbie

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back