• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Safe Arbor - a stylized bird nest and pedestal.
underdog

Safe Arbor - a stylized bird nest and pedestal.

This is an art piece donated to the Habitat for Humanity birdhouse auction.
8" x 8" x 20".
Reclaimed Alder glue-ups, reclaimed oak column, black locust.
Turned, sculpted, laminated, and burned. About 100 hours of work here...

This is a stylized bird *nest evocative of tree roots, trunks, bird nest, and leaves (or are they feathers?)
You may notice influences from Jaques Vesery, and Clay Foster, not to mention burners like Molly Winton or Graeme Priddle.

(*the original bird house)
Comments and critiques welcome.
@Bill Boehme Believe it or not, the idea sprung into my head almost complete after a couple of months of futile writing down of ideas, and coming up with... zilch. One suggestion by my wife, and... zap! the idea came almost immediately and I sketched it out nearly like you see it here. It was only after I started making it that I looked at Clay Foster's work to see how he'd done his.... And I thought to myself; "self, it would have been a lot easier to use more primitive forms, or found objects like Clay Foster did." The burning.... oh the burning time! Criminy! I must be crazy!

Media information

Album
Safe Arbor
Added by
underdog
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Filename