• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Samurai Hornets
D

Samurai Hornets

Heres another one that combines a turned, lidded vessel with a stand, also with turned elements. The carved hornet finial and carving on the front and back panels (both sides have the carved hornets), along with the texture and color combine to make a unified design.
My work is getting bigger as I play with planes and surface textures in my carving. It took forever and my next goal is to simplify the design concept.
Its about 22 tall. It got to be Samurai hornets because I saw an exhibit of Samurai armor and thought the color and articulated designs had that kind of vibe.
Dick,

I love these pieces. I can't tell if the lizards are carved from the body or applied to the surface. Great illusion. You always inspire me to improve my carving. What's the wood?

Thanks, Bob and Thanks, Gary. The hornets and lizards are all carved from the body, not applied -- the hornets' wings are undercut to make a shadow line under them. It's a relief tecnique that's easier with gouges than with power carving. The wood is almost all cherry -- the vertical panels and turned elements of the hornet base are all from the same 12" x 2" board. The carved finial is basswood.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dick Kelly
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back