• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Shell Fragment Series #11
Rick Crawford

Shell Fragment Series #11

5.75"H x 5.5"W x 2"D. Maple, turned, cut, carved, pierced, no finish. Base is Southern Yellow Pine with brass rod and auto bumper paint (thanks to Marilyn Campbell for that suggestion).

This piece of maple came from the same thick-walled bowl form that was used to make SF#8. It needed to be utilized, and I thought that I should mimic an Eames chair, sitting atop a 1930's inspired car fender form. The shell inspiration is of an ancient oyster shell that I find up in Matanzas Inlet, just south of St. Augustine, Fl.

C & C's most welcome.
Beautiful Rick - a real eye catcher. Love the nice sweeping forms complementing each other. Very realistic shell fragment.

Hi Hal and Peter, many thanks!

Hal, thank you very much for rating my piece.

Peter, what part of NZ are you from? I was down there in March for CollaboratioNZ 2011, then spent a couple of days with Alby Hall afterward. Lovely country, hope to be able to find the funds to attend Collab 2013.
Kia Ora,
Rick

Hi Rick, I live in Auckland, am a member of the Sth Auck' Guild along with a host of very fine turners, Terry Scott, Dick Veitch to name a few. Bet you had some fun with Alby, wow what a tallented & knowlegable artist in the world of wood.
I have done a couple of trips to Orlando some years ago both time for a World Signmakers convention, fabulous memories

Hi Lionel, and many thanks. I've had fun making them, might make some more in the future, but right now it's time to start a new series...stay tuned.

Peter, flying in to Auckland, I was taken by how green everything was, and I really wanted to kayak those beautiful waters! I also got to spend time with Graeme Priddle and Rolly Munro at Collab...both great guys.

Cheers,
Rick

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Rick Crawford
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings