• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sisso HF
Scott Hackler

Sisso HF

This lovely piece of wood was graciously sent to me by fellow turner, Kathy Marshall. It is Dalbergia Sissoo (Indian Rosewood) and was a very nice turning wood, that ended up surprising me with delightful grain structure. It was a limb piece and there was sap wood all the way around, but in rounding it, only two sides survived the process. I didn't have the heart to remove the rest of the light colored sap wood and I believe it adds some visual interest. This is the second form that I have made using my new Carter Hollow Roller hollowing system. It sure it nice to hollow something without the violent twisting and having to break out the calipers every minute! I did have to hand hollow under the shoulder, though. And I utilized my Jeff Nicol steady rest on this piece.

4" wide x 6 1/2" tall with a little over 1" hole. Hollowed to 1/8" except for the bottom (for ballast). Finished with 2 coats of BLO and Ren Wax.

Comments and Critiques are encouraged! Thanks
very nice, Scott

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Scott Hackler
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings