• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Space-Filling Curve
Joe Greiner

Space-Filling Curve

This is an artificial stereo pair of images, which may be viewable by de-crossing your eyes, as done with free-viewing stereo images. If corresponding elements are more than about 2 1/2 inches apart on screen, you may need to adjust your screen resolution, or abandon free-viewing stereo.

Sixty-four long-grain elbows were cut from 32 donuts turned in red oak, from a tree I felled last December. The finial and the base came from the same tree. There are angular errors in the first and last elbows, resulting in imperfect alignment. The elbows form a space-filling curve, with elbows at the 64 nodes of a cube with 9 sub-cubes. Each glue joint is imperfect in its own way, for a variety of reasons; mostly from limited turning skill, but also from forgetting which sub-assembly joint I had just glued. Finished with EEE & paste wax, before assembly. Final dimensions: 11.5"W x 17"H.

It isn't as bad as the picture portrays. The mis-alignment is less pronounced, as is the overall redness. The stereo effect is exaggerated.

Owing to other objectives, I'm not sure how far I want to chase this particular Muse. There are many possibilities. At minimum, I'd develop a more effective clamping protocol, and use KD wood. And solve the angular error hiccup, which is probably repairable.
I like the way you presented this in stereo. It reminds me of my grad school days, looking at molecular models in the textbooks. They were often presented in stereo and you had to unfocus your eyes to see the patterns.

Did you physically rotate the piece and rephotograph it, or was there a software trick involved?

Thanks, Andi.

I physically rotated it for separate images; then merged them by brute force. Hence the exaggerated effect. I'd done similar work (pre-digital) on long baselines for aerial and terrestrial photos, without merging for free-viewing (used optical instruments).

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Joe Greiner
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename