• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Spalted Persimmon Vessel side 1
underdog

Spalted Persimmon Vessel side 1

Spalted Persimmon Vessel
5 in diameter x 4 1/2 tall x 1/4 thickness

Art from firewood!

Last year I attended an all day Dale Nish and Nick Cook demo in Atlanta. I had a great time and even bought raffle tickets for a chance on the demo items. Unfortunately (or fortunately) by the time my numbers were called there was only a handful of wood pieces left over. One was too big for my lathe, but as I was considering cutting it up, the person who put this Persimmon down in disgust at all the cracks in it, made off with the big chunk of wood. So I ended up with this dried up, severely cracked piece of Persimmon. Thinking I could at least make pen blanks I took it home where it sat for over a year since I don't have a pen mandrel. Last Saturday I got to looking at it and decided "Why not?" Indeed, why not! After I roughed out the outside to see what was there, I decided to make a vessel out of it and left all the cracks.

So all of you folks that attended that demo and discarded this piece in favor of nicer wood - eat your heart out!

I think it turned out nice for a piece that was essentially a discard.
Reactions: Karl Koch
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
underdog
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings