• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Spalted Yellow Birch
George Van Beynen

Spalted Yellow Birch

I had to show this one. This was one of the nicest pieces of spalted yellow birch I have come across so far. It is a yellow birch bowl I just finished, it is 16.5x5. The rim is undercut to a 3/8 wall thickness. The finish is Russ blend. I chose a foot to elevate to show the grain and figure a little more. I cored and got four blanks out of this, the 13 bowl I posted earlier It is too bad I was unable to capture the chatoyance in this photo, it has a lot as this came from the stump which was growing on legs so you could shake hands under it. A logger and I cut the legs at the ground and then hauled it out of the woods on the forwarder bunks. I did get some more spalted platter and bowl blanks out of the stump also. I look forward to finishing some of these shortly. Thanks for looking, comments and suggestions appreciated
George, this caught my eye right away. Something to be thankful for, and it looks like you did well by it.

Al

Thanks Al and Dave, I wish I had not sold this but my customer saw the blanks and bought the two largest before they were final turned. I do not think I would have sold this one.

I have done quite a few bowls in spalted birch, but this one of yours is an insperation, thanks for sharing best wishes joe P.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Van Beynen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device