• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Spiral Dream
D

Spiral Dream

10" x 6" Cherry open spiral bowl. Saw this in a dream. Had to try and make it. Not perfect, but great propotype for the next one.
I like it and have spent a bit of time pondering it. Can you share a bit about the process?
It started off as a semi-hollow form. Once that was complete, I marked out the spirals around the piece. I used Saburrtooth bits to carve the spirals out. It's very fragile. I didn't disconnect all the spirals until the end. The inside isn't as nice as the outside since this is just a prototype. I use this version to test wall thickness and spiral size to see what works best.

When I carve the spirals, I do them in stages, so I don't snap too many off. Not saying I didn't ... because I did snap 4 of them. Doing the carving in stages helps keep the stress of just one spiral at a time.

I plan on making a video of the next one now that I know how it ends up and what to change.

That is an impressive piece- I am trying to imagine the work that went into it. Nice job.
Thanks!

impressive piece. amazing how the 'turning' part of the project is often the smallest part of the project!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
DaveSchell
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename