• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Storm Chaser
Jim McLain

Storm Chaser

Basket Illusion inspired by a two grew hills rug. Wood is holly assembled segmented. About 8 inches tall and 6 inches in diameter. Blackwood pot on top.
So many things to like and be impressed by in this beautiful piece. When you say "assembled segmented" do you mean in segmented rings on top of each other or just solid layers? Either way it's impossible to see any joints. Great design too.

Curtis - Thanks have always admired your work. I have been doing all my baskets the past few years using the segmented rings. They are all done with 12 segment rings. Using this method allows you to design any shape you want to do and you don’t have to wait for a blank to dry. The other advantage is that there is no end grain which makes the turning a little easier and my markers seem to last a little longer. I have used holly and maple.

Excellent basket design and overall piece Jim! I want to do something like this with all segments! Nice choice on the Holly!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Jim McLain
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 2 ratings

Image metadata

Device