• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Sunset On the Pond
billclark

Sunset On the Pond

The inspiration for this piece started while looking through Pinterest at Raku fired pottery. I found a ginger jar form that kept calling me back for another look. Upon closer examination I realized that the form followed the “Golden Mean” which is why it worked so perfectly. I decided to give the form a try. The next challenge was designing a surface enhancement that would work with the form so I thought I’d adapt one of my cattails designs. I wood burned cattails and dragonfly images on the piece with overlapping leaves to give the image some depth. I then stippled burned the background. The stippling took forever as the small ball tip was the size of a dull pencil tip. The piece was then airbrushed with a mixed Trans-Tint dye in alcohol and finished with a matt spray. The piece is 5” tall including the lid and the wood is Maple.
I knew this was yours the first time I saw it. What surprised me was that it was made from maple. I would have bet it was cherry (and lost). You really do some beautiful work.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
billclark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename