• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The Forbidden Egg
Michael Anderson

The Forbidden Egg

The egg is made of Maple, and is painted black and coated with satin lacquer. It’s adorned with 881 14g copper wires, which render the egg nearly untouchable. The wires also produce a nice sound when fingers are rubbed over the surface. I turned the removable base from A small piece of Ipe, and mounted a 10g copper wire that fits into a hole drilled on the bottom of the egg. Fun and tedious project! 6"h x 5"d
Hey Sam, thanks for the kind words! I didn’t use an indexer on this one. I laid out the pattern by hand, and then drilled holes afterward.

Way to climb out of the box Michael! I love this beauty; it’s impressive that it’s done so cleanly without a jig. How does it look/ sit w/o the base…just curious. I like how the base is sort of not there! Excellent effort!!

Thanks a lot @Russ Braun for the compliments!

I made the egg from some laminated offcuts, so I had some horizontal glue lines to give me a little help with the spacing of the rows. But, it was mostly just elbow grease and taking my time that made it work. I was also able to bend the wires a bit afterward to clean up the spacing a bit. Not perfect by any means, but good enough for what I was going for! You can kind of see how the columns stray a bit in the overhead shot below:

5ZWliWQ.jpeg

It sits pretty well without the base, but isn't super stable--though, it wouldn't roll very far. I wanted to make the base as discreet as possible, so I just went for thin, thin, thin. It took a few tries to find a wood that wouldn't warp. Here's a pic of the base sitting next to the egg:

vy8SSnl.jpeg

Thanks a lot @Russ Braun for the compliments!

I made the egg from some laminated offcuts, so I had some horizontal glue lines to give me a little help with the spacing of the rows. But, it was mostly just elbow grease and taking my time that made it work. I was also able to bend the wires a bit afterward to clean up the spacing a bit. Not perfect by any means, but good enough for what I was going for! You can kind of see how the columns stray a bit in the overhead shot below:

5ZWliWQ.jpeg

It sits pretty well without the base, but isn't super stable--though, it wouldn't roll very far. I wanted to make the base as discreet as possible, so I just went for thin, thin, thin. It took a few tries to find a wood that wouldn't warp. Here's a pic of the base sitting next to the egg:

vy8SSnl.jpeg
Part of the fun is placing it anyway you want!! You can then spend hours straightening the wires, haha!!

How cool is that? A time consuming project - but worth it. I hope you had a stash of that copper wire hanging around because at today's prices ....:eek: My quick estimate - approx. 73' @ $1 per foot ....

stash of that copper wire hanging around because at today's prices
Thanks, Tom! Gosh, you’re not wrong—I had around 30 feet leftover from the same project that the maple came from, but I had to bit the bullet for the other 40ish feet. I think I managed to find a 50’ roll for $35 though, which was steep enough! :oops:

Thanks, Tom! Gosh, you’re not wrong—I had around 30 feet leftover from the same project that the maple came from, but I had to bit the bullet for the other 40ish feet. I think I managed to find a 50’ roll for $35 though, which was steep enough! :oops:
Haha! I was guesstimating from the photo that the wire was the same as your base pin - which you said was 10 gauge. But your post on another site you said it was #14 - considerably cheaper that #10. :)

@Tom Gall, right you are. Somehow that detail got dropped in my description—added in. I can’t believe how expensive wire is now. When I was putting in the wiring for my lathe, I watched a video that was maybe a year old. The guy doing the video said he paid something outrageous for his 10-2 wire. When I went to the store, I had to pay 2x more than that! I felt bad for the salesman I was talking to about wire prices. All he could say was, yeah that’s where we’re at right now. I’m sure he has to entertain a ton of complaints!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device