• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
The Round (2024)
Kalia Kliban

The Round (2024)

Madrone and ebony, 5-7/8" x 4"
Created for the POP exhibit "Balance," this piece is about my trying to find the balance between my careers as a woodturner and a dance caller. The dance depicted is the English country dance "The Round," from 1701.
Amazing script...freehand?
Would love to know your technique...looks very clean!!
It is freehand, yes. I measure the diameter of the text's baseline to determine the overall length of each line. Then I write the text out to make sure that it will fit without gaps or squeezing. During this stage I often try variations on the wording to get the spacing the way I want it. I pencil the text in on the piece, adjusting spacing while I can still erase things until I have it just right, then I lock the cats out of my office and get to work with the pyrography. I use a Colwood Detailer unit with a variety of different tips. For the writing on the lid and the accidentals, half notes, and treble clef in the music I used the RT-1 ball tip. The quarter and eighth notes were done with the RT-3 ball tip. Bar lines were made with (I think) the RT-KR.
It helps that my regular handwriting is pretty good :>)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Kalia Kliban
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device