• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Threesome
JoWinter

Threesome

Hi all,
the "Threesome" is an advancement of a single piece in the same style. It's one piece of wood. 27x27x6 cm.
What's your comment. I await also critiques.
Hi,
sorry, I've got a error message. So I tried it four times. Please delete the last three times. Thanks.
Jo

JO,

I like it. It is different. I can see the work of your multi centered turnings and I can only assume how you held it.

Care to share some technique on the way did it? What does the back look like?

Thanks for sharing!

Hi Tom,
thanks for your comment. At the moment the back is black. I have different imaginations, but I have not decided which I will realize. To turn I used a wooden faceplate, screwed the wood on it and used counterweights. Sorry, I have no photos.
Jo

A lovely piece of art Jo, I love the flow of the "whiskers" linking all three features, very nice Multi centre piece
Pete

Jo,

A fantastic piece! As a newcomer to woodturning I often check the rest of a turner's portfolio before commenting or critiquing. I have created a folder titled "Inspirations" in my favorites list. There I occasionally put something that stands out even in the sea of fantastic stuff on display at AAW. I just added a link to your portfolio. Beautiful pieces but also different without seeming to be different only for the sake of being different. I would never copy someone else's work but sometimes looking at creative pieces jumpstarts my own creativity a little bit.

The one tiny critique I have of this piece is that the lines bother me a little. Because some line up near perfectly I am led to expect a flow and continuity in the lines or a natural spread such as the limbs of a tree or bush creates. The lines from area to area seem a little discordant to me rather than in harmony. Wish I could explain what I am trying to say better, the lines seem neither totally related or totally unrelated and it seems they should be one or the other.

Wonderful piece, and my thoughts on the lines are purely my opinion of course. Someday I may be able to turn something half this nice!

Hu

Thanks Peter, thanks Hu,
yes Hu, you are right. That's why I still left the back black to make good improvements yet. I always say:From good criticism I can learn a lot.
Thanks

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
JoWinter
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata