• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Threesome
Threesome

Wood: Ash
Finish: Danish oil
Length: One Piece, 235mm (9-3/8")
Width: 90mm (3-3/8")

This piece was a bit of a challenge as the spheres had to be as close to perfect as possible otherwise it was doomed to fail. I'm pretty happy with the finished piece.
I would like to attempt this again but add some texture, which would improve the look of the piece.
What do you think?
Comments and critiques welcome.
As always, great stuff! For texture, you might want to sandblast your next attempt. This technique works well with woods like ash.

one piece, huh, very nice

Personally, with this wood and the understated grain, I like the simplicity. I think texture or sandblasting would detract from that simplicity.
It reminds me of parents protecting thier child. Maybe that is the way I am feeling now, but the way each outside larger sphere is tipped slightly in (and asymmetry from the angles) and holding up the small center sphere.

Thanks Harvey, I agree sandblasting would work well on the form. may be next time.

Thanks Charlie.

Steve, Thanks for the comments and maybe a the name should have been Parents or similar.

Cheers, Robbie

Robbie ,I love were you are going with these vessels totally original ,very inspirational
Cheers

Yow! At first glance I thought those were three free-standing bowls, and very nice ones at that, but from one piece of wood, and such clean work?!!

"This piece was a bit of a challenge..." Geez, I guess. (Also, the wood you selected perfectly compliments the forms.)

Really, really nicely done, Robbie. Exquisite work.

Thanks for the great comment Frank. I enjoy doing multi axis work but when It all goes well and you end up with a piece that gets great comments, it makes the effort worth while.
Cheers Robbie

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Robbie Graham
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media