• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Un-Golf Ball
Joe Greiner

Un-Golf Ball

I made this oversize Un-Golf Ball with bumps instead of dimples. There are 482 bumps - 162 at the nodes of a subdivided icosahedral array (4 divisions per edge), and 320 at the centers of its small triangles. Golf balls typically have 330-500 dimples.

I modified a drift punch to a 1/4" round end, and punched dimples at the bump locations; then sanded the outer surface to the bottom of the dimples; placed it in boiling water for a few minutes to raise the bumps, and let it dry.

Cherry, 2 3/4" (70mm) diameter; clear gloss polyurethane.

Google [ukibori] for more.
That looks cool with the inverted dimples and I immediately thought golf ball before I scrolled down to the title.

Is there a difference in the quality of the bumps between end grain and face grain?

And difficult to sand . . . .

Lionel, this was a lucky first shot. I haven't made enough mistakes to consider myself a master.

Robert, I was surprised to see little difference between end grain and side grain. And I may have subconsciously struck the end grain harder.

All the sanding (to 600 grit) was done before dunking, which was effective in seconds. The "few minutes" was to make sure, and it slightly degraded the luster.

Oddly enough, and unbeknownst to me until today, in the period of about 1890 to 1908, some golf balls had raised projections called "brambles." Thus called because they resembled wild fruit of the English countryside. Then recessed dimples were found to perform better.

In contrast to the point of a center punch, a drift punch has a flat working surface. They're usually used to drive a round shaft into, or out of, a bored hole. If a center punch is used there, it tends to flare the end of the shaft, so that progress is impeded.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Joe Greiner
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device