• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Urchin Window Ornament
Gabriel Hoff

Urchin Window Ornament

This was a original concept I came up with by putting a small Philippine Deep Sea Urchin inside of the window. Ornament and finial is figured maple and the urchin finials are African Blackwood. The urchin coloring is natural, it is not dyed. Finished with gloss lacquer.
Very nice ornament & icicle, Gabriel. Nice concept and good joinery (from what I can see).
Minor nitpick. .... your hardware is a bit overwhelming, especially on the little urchin ornament. There are other options - just my 2¢! ;) Merry Christmas!

I know Tom. I tried looking for smaller ones but they are hard to find. I thought about using very small gauge wire but, maybe next time...

I know Tom. I tried looking for smaller ones but they are hard to find. I thought about using very small gauge wire but, maybe next time...
Small screw eyes (difficult to source these days) and eye pins (cut to length) can be found in jewelry catalogs and/or craft stores - not hardware stores. Even cut off fish hooks or heavy gauge monofilament can be thin CA glued into a small hole. Hope that helps a little.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Gabriel Hoff
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device