• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut Bag of Calabash-ish
Michael Anderson

Walnut Bag of Calabash-ish

I finished this one a little while ago, and it sure was fun to make! I've been turning a decent number of calabashes lately, and I wanted to see what it would look like if I fused a calabash with a bag-of-sand form. I also wanted to add some texture to give the piece a weathered look (almost looks like old leather). I originally had a sapwood natural edge, but the color had already turned yellow-ish (logs on the ground for a while), so I decided to char the edge and let it burn out naturally. This was for an exchange, so I added the red paint in homage to my Canadian recipient. 7”d x 4.5”h
Here are a couple of alternative views, as well as an image of the bowl before I charred the sapwood.

ZW01RUc.jpeg

hDru2za.jpeg

sjMBGjY.jpeg

JwaUMZQ.jpeg

Nice shape, well executed texture and finish. The red detail on the rim really sets it off - and I'm not saying that just because I'm a canuck! Well done!
Barry W. Larson
Calgary, Alberta, Canada eh!

Thanks a lot Tom, Dennis, and Vincent! I original wanted to keep the sapwood because of the interesting band of heartwood. But, the discolored sapwood kind of ruined it. The red was a fun way to accentuate the rim contours. I’m a sucker for a splash of color, too. :)

I do like the before better, but I like the after also, the before gave it a more old/ancient look that goes well with the overall shape and surface of it.

I'm quite amazed at the output you are able to bring out, as I would expect doing that surface treatment taking considerable time, well done Michael.

Leo, it was a tough decision for me to make, I let the bowl sit around for a day while I pondered the change. I see what you’re saying though. And, thanks for the kind words! The surface texturing does take a long time. Fortunately it’s not precision work, so I just sit on my porch with a drink and have fun.

Another terrific vessel Michael! The freeform texture and red rim look great, nice embellishment! The char really ties the vessel together to my eye!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Michael Anderson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device