• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut crotch bowl
Paul May

Walnut crotch bowl

Staved walnut crotch bowl with chatke viga and yellowheart accents. 5.5" diameter, 4.5" H
That walnut crotch figure on the staves is fantastic, and the veneer accent between the staves and the base is very attractive. However, the top ring/rim and its glue lines are bothersome to my eye. The number of segments should be equal to (or a multiple of) the number of staves. Just my 2¢. ;) Other than that small nitpick ... this is very well done, Paul.

That walnut crotch figure on the staves is fantastic, and the veneer accent between the staves and the base is very attractive. However, the top ring/rim and its glue lines are bothersome to my eye. The number of segments should be equal to (or a multiple of) the number of staves. Just my 2¢. ;) Other than that small nitpick ... this is very well done, Paul.
Hi Tom...point taken. I thought of that when I was constructing the top but got a bit lazy and didn't want to do the math for 20 segments. I was delighted how it turned out though. Thanks for your nice comments!

Very beautiful! So you use a segmenting software like WoodturnerPro? That takes the math and calculations out and makes designing easy!

Paul the math ain't that hard! 360/20= segment angle. Pi x OD /20 = SEL. I'm just saying..... :)
Great looking bowl by the way!

Very beautiful! So you use a segmenting software like WoodturnerPro? That takes the math and calculations out and makes designing easy!
Hi Gabriel. I do use woodturner pro. That is how I got the correct angles for the 10 staves. I was just in a mood to get this one done is all.

Media information

Album
Staved vessels
Added by
Paul May
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device