• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut Live Edge Bowl
Fal Wing

Walnut Live Edge Bowl

7" X 5" X 1/8" Sanding Sealer, Homemade Tripoli & Bees wax abrasive polish, Finished with Carnuba wax and buffed.
What I can see looks good. Looks like you could use some pewa patches on some cracks. A side view to see the curve and how big the bottom is would be nice. Good job on keeping the bark on.

Thank you for the comments, Emiliano. The cracks are filled with Cyanoacrylate glue. Photography is a challenge...I just have my iPhone and cannot always keep an area in focus. I'd love to know how others are dealing with that challenge. And then there is proper lighting and background. I'd love to know if there is a YouTube video dealing with photographing turnings.

Thank you for the comments, Emiliano. The cracks are filled with Cyanoacrylate glue. Photography is a challenge...I just have my iPhone and cannot always keep an area in focus. I'd love to know how others are dealing with that challenge. And then there is proper lighting and background. I'd love to know if there is a YouTube video dealing with photographing turnings.

I don't think you have much control when using the camera on a mobile device. Of course, the bomb would be a DSLR camera with a long lens. A point-and-shoot camera isn't prohibitive in cost and you have a fair amount of control over ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. For tabletop product photography, I use a graduated gray background (Varitone or Flotone), a single LED photoflood shooting through an umbrella and black and white foamboards for bounce cards and gobos. Here is a link to on of my posts showing my typical set-up: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/got-a-new-moffatt-style-lamp.12481/#post-119955

Photography is definitely a challenge. Luckily we have turners like @Bill Boehme and @john lucas to help us. With an iPhone, I believe you have enough resolution so you could step back a bit, and then crop it. I should have mentioned that the wood you used is super nice.

I don't think you have much control when using the camera on a mobile device. Of course, the bomb would be a DSLR camera with a long lens. A point-and-shoot camera isn't prohibitive in cost and you have a fair amount of control over ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. For tabletop product photography, I use a graduated gray background (Varitone or Flotone), a single LED photoflood shooting through an umbrella and black and white foamboards for bounce cards and gobos. Here is a link to on of my posts showing my typical set-up: https://www.aawforum.org/community/threads/got-a-new-moffatt-style-lamp.12481/#post-119955
Thank you for the advice regarding photos of my pieces. Do you have a link for the light with heat sink, the umbrella, and stands? I like that your photo set up looks relatively simple and hopefully affordable. What was the LED bulb that you used?

Nice piece and great bark. Of all the woods to photo walnut give me the most trouble. Always comes out way too dark and enough light to see the grain and you get bright glares on spots. I've got to go back through the posts here on photo setup and make some changes.

Thank you for the advice regarding photos of my pieces. Do you have a link for the light with heat sink, the umbrella, and stands? I like that your photo set up looks relatively simple and hopefully affordable. What was the LED bulb that you used?

The light is Keystone. I bought I at the local Rockler Hardware. Umbrellas and light stands can be found at any camera store.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Fal Wing
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename