• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Walnut Vessel
Vincent Luciani

Walnut Vessel

6 inches wide and 13 inches high.
Just "finished" this and now that it`s done, I don`t know what much to say about it.......except that the texturing was pretty time consuming, lol. C n C welcome
Vincent,
I really like how you have enshrined your finial using contrasting woods. well done.
Thanks for sharing.
Dwight

Vinny, saw this over on WOW, I realy love the total piece, The form is spot on to my eye with a 1/3 2/3 proportion, just leave the finial please as it is.
Great bit of texturing & colour blending. :)
Pete

Vincent, perhaps you described it better on WOW, but how did you hollow the piece? The texturing is really nice, and the finial is fantastic. I assume it's in two parts. Really handsome piece.

Hal, it is one piece...and the finial is 2, 3 with the cap.
I use a few home made tools. One is like Al Basham`s tools, with a base board door stopper spring as a thickness gauge (I use that quite a bit). I`ve also assembled a captured system for when things get precarious. It can accept various bars.
As for the texture on the top, it is a dremel, ping hammered and burnished. The colors are black gesso, india ink, transtint dyes, and pre cat lacquer.
The finials for me are always removable :) (but not threaded....yet!)

The combination of carving along with the finial is awesome!

Turning of the Week, 05/14/12
AAW Home Page Photo

What an honor, and a surprise! Thank you so much Kurt, I`m humbled and grateful, and will never forget the surprise when I saw this!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Vincent Luciani
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device