• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Western Art
D

Western Art

Bowl-Box Elder
Size 11"X 4 1/2"
Carved using Turbo Carver
Deer Antlers Base with Burl Slab
Antlers Finished with Watco Stain
Bowl and Antlers then Finished with Deft
Does anyone have a good name for this piece.
All comments welcome. Thank you.
Dennis
How about "Overrun"? Symbolizing the actions of the western herdsman to decimate land previously occupied by native species (deer) and native peoples.

Technically that may not be quite true.
There's currently a big debate over the reason for the downfall of the plains and other 'native' regions.
There is reason to believe that the degeneration of natural habitats could have been sped up only a little by western settlers, but by the largest peace treaty in Native American history. It rid the plains of 'safe zones' for animals (land inbetween warring tribes, where no hunters would go). I'm not taking sides in this debate, because I honestly don't know. This is just a movement among those literati types that has been gaining momentum in the past decade.
Now back to the turning.
It is because of party-poopers like me that you shouldn't name this 'Overrun.' They'll spend more time talking about how it may or may not be historically accurate, as opposed to the well-composed piece of art that is before them.
(Good job on the turning, honestly).

And after this long winded schpiel, I suppose I should have a positive suggestion for a title. Which I don't, I'm sorry.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
DennisBilevich
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename