• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
White Birch Pot
George Van Beynen

White Birch Pot

I finished sanding this white birch pot after it dried and settled down a short time ago. I am still working to improve my hollowing techniques and form. Thickness 3/32. Finish Waterlox and buff. This is 5.75x7, I was checking a birch log to see if it was spalted enough which it wasnt but it was good practice for me. I am not sure if the opening works or not, I feel I may have over emphasized it hoping to create a collar effect. Comments and critiques appreciated.
George, I'm very fond of the shape you used for this form. I agree with you about the opening. If the thickness is 3/32" you should make the open such that it will show off your efforts. In other woods, try to make the lip the same thickness as the rest of the form. Looks like you accomplished this through a small opening which I always like to see. I think you did really well and will do even better on the next one.

Thanks Ed, you have a good point and the next one I do I will follow your advise and change the lip. Brad Adams told me if I wanted a collar appearance why not put a collar on it, makes sense. Now I have another technique to learn.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
George Van Beynen
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device