• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Wisdom of the Wood
S. Clark

Wisdom of the Wood

Silver Maple, pyrography, acrylic color
7x2.625

The Great Horned Owl can truly be considered wise as it has learned to adapt to every environment found in North America. From the maple forests of the northeast to the southern swamps, the rocky coasts to the interior deserts, the boreal forests to our urban communities, even within our great cities, these birds can be found. So the title speaks of the owls wisdom, the wood speaking to me, and our wisdom in preserving these great forest environments.
Wow - That is truly beautiful and so life like. He just keeps staring at me just like an owl would. The 3-D effect is so good I don't even have to use the special glasses.

I think that's very nice, as well......and, looks to be exceptionally well done. How did you apply the color? Did you paint the leaves and owl by hand? When you say acrylic, do you mean the kind of paint an artist might use on canvas?

ooc

Thanks for the kind comments folks.

Hal, I think the 3-D effect is due to the pyrography as it actually burns into the wood some micro-measurement of an inch; the burning spoons create a very subtle texture too. Odie, yes the paints are artists acrylics. In the case of this piece they are entirely of the Golden brand; most being their airbrush paint though I had to mix some of my own green tones using their fluid acrylic with airbrush extender. The leaves too are completely burned before painting. This is the first piece with which Ive used an airbrush. Once you learn to handle it, it has the ability to apply an amazingly smooth color gradation which Id never achieve using a paint brush, though maybe a truly skilled painter could. The real difficulty with airbrush is working out the masking process. It is a bit complex on a curved surface and complex image like this.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
S. Clark
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename