• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Yellow mulberry Natural Edge - birthday bowl
R

Yellow mulberry Natural Edge - birthday bowl

Rustic Natural Edge -Yellow Mulberry birthday bowl

My youngest son purchased his first house in April...........has a birthday today, and for his living room he wanted a rustic natural edge bowl for his coffee table. [Our housewarming gift to him was a new living room suite]

Anyway, after looking at the different hollow forms, lidded boxes, bowls, etc. that I have turned over the last couple of years, he wanted a natural edge. I chose this piece of yellow mulberry because I thought it would contrast well on that coffee table and show up as an accent piece. The bark came off this before I even put it on the lathe......just loose and came off it two pieces.

The log section was very uneven.........one end bigger in diameter than the other, and the mass of the log was off center lengthwise, so I had to try and balance it a bit, and that made the bottom foot a little off center, but rustic is what my son wanted.

I was reluctant to even post this one, as I do not think it is indicative of my skill level, but I guess none of us can turn a masterpiece with every turning, or else they would all be mediocre!

I sanded back the WTF a bit to cut the sheen to keep it rustic looking. Dimensions are 10-3/8 inches long, 8-1/4 wide and 4-3/8 tall.
Roger-

Your youngest son has a great heirloom from you to pass on down to his kids and theirs. Great job and a good write up.

Gary

Thanks Gary! I wish the picture was better.......it looks better in person than the pics.........my wife's camera doesn't like me and underexposes about half the time!

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Roger Chandler
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device