• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Yew Beaut
Terry Scott

Yew Beaut

Yew Beaut
I was going to call this Some thing special after my last post of Nothing special
But I think Yew Beaut is more appropriate

After seeing all of Eugenes Yew root pieces I have had a secret wish that one day I might find a bit of yew. When visiting a woody mate I spotted a narly old piece of root under his hedge. I enquired what it was. When he replied it was a Yew root and he didnt know what to do with it. I volunteered to take it off his hands in exchange for a piece of Kauri.
He thought I was crazy as this was destined for his fire heap.
This is the second piece I managed to make from the lump of dirt in cased yew.
This stuff was definitely out of my comfort zone as it was bone dry and as hard as a rock. I have never tried Pewter work inlays, another comfort zone adventure.
I finally managed to buy some casting pewter 2kg of the stuff in a big block.
I thought I had been didled as when I tried to heat it wouldnt melt; it took me a while to realize the block was acting as a heat sink and not getting hot enough.
A few cuts into thin slices on the band saw and I was finally away.
The voids were undercut with the dremel before I melted in the pewter with the aid of dams being made with aluminium tape. Then with a soldering iron (had to go and buy one of those also the old electric type with a large head as my gas heated one burnt the wood before the pewter melted.)
I had all sorts of fun trying to get the pewter in the voids it was like playing with liquid mercury, went everyway but the way I wanted it to.
Next I cut the pewter back to the wood and started to turn out the inside.
I wanted a inch wall thickness but didnt quite get to that as some of the pewter started falling out into the inside. Back to the drawing board, I managed to get inside with some surgical tweezers and put on some tape so I could recast the pewter.
I super glued in all the suckers as well this time .The inside is sanded to the same grit as the out side with my new toy a free wheeling sander from Woodcut.
A Coca bola finial was fitted; I have been saving this my only piece for a special occasion.
8 inches high A first for me as I finished with oil then waxed and buffed
Definitely out of my comfort zone
What do you think
There are no comments to display.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Terry Scott
Date added
View count
Comment count