• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Yin Yang....?
C

Yin Yang....?

Several years ago I attempted to do a demo at our club on basket illusions. It went OK but it's hard to demonstrate something that takes 20-50 hours in a 2 hour demo. I had several small pieces in various stages of the process and just tried to show a bit of each stage. While cleaning out some clutter recently I came across this piece that was one of those stages, just beaded with some pencil drawings on it to show how I draw the pattern. But I liked the wood, a piece of spalted poplar so I decided to finish it. As I was working on it I saw this Yin-Yang type design and stopped there. 8"
Looking a little closer at this, are the radial lines put in slightly curved to give the illusion of roundness, or are they straight and that just comes from the perspective? EDIT: I just zoomed in a bit more and I guess the answer is that they ARE round because it is beaded to begin with!

Looking a little closer at this, are the radial lines put in slightly curved to give the illusion of roundness, or are they straight and that just comes from the perspective? EDIT: I just zoomed in a bit more and I guess the answer is that they ARE round because it is beaded to begin with!
I'm not sure what you mean by "radial lines" but the beads are concentric circles and the lines radiating from the center are straight. The curve in the design comes from the diminishing size of the beads as it moves from the edge to the center. I hope that makes sense.

HI Curt! Interesting how you saw the pattern in the unfinished stage -- fits the old wisdom that sometimes "less is more"!! The design really works on this piece of spalted wood - almost like you had planned it - (yeah, yeah - I meant to do that!!) ---- good job! :)

Media information

Album
Curt Fuller
Added by
Curt Fuller
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Device