• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Zanatomy
Dan Stevenson

Zanatomy

'Zanatomy' is certainly not my usual fodder, but an experiment for me in both the abstract and the technical. It's made from a piece of Norfolk Island Pine, hollowed up from the bottom through a small hole, stopping at the knots. Then carved down to reveal all 7 knots in their entirety as they converge into a center ring where the pith would be. The knots were far more organic than I imagined at the start in both direction and thickness, thus creatively driving me to more of a anatomical abstract of an otherwise lifeless form. Pyro, carved, painted inside and a bit of highlight gloss lacquer for effect, dull shellac on the outside. I blame Covid-19 for this bit of dark inspiration lol.
Thank you all for looking.
I looked at this picture, paused, and did a double take on it as I realized from the image that the knots and radial growths were not additions to the turning, but integral to the original tree.

Absolutely stunning piece, and clever process to bring out so much beauty.

@Elie Kochman Thank you and yes, those knots are original within the piece and carved out entirely. I would show more angles of the piece but cannot post here without creating another pic within the main gallery. Thanks for looking twice ;)

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Dan Stevenson
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

Image metadata

Device