• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1.0 Man-Power Lathe?

Dennis J Gooding

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
A friend recently gave me a 1907 Barnes Co. catalog of woodworking machinery. Among the items for sale was a one man-power lathe and some turning tools and accessories. It’s hard to read the prices in the old pictures, but the lathe cost $40.00 and ach of the tools and accessories shown costs less than $2.00. It’s hard to read the prices in the old pictures, but the lathe cost $40.00 and ach of the tools and accessories shown costs less than $2.00.
OldLathe.jpgTools.jpg

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Odie, they have your screw chuck for a buck fifty...

Ha,ha......I noticed that! :D

When I saw that, I wondered why they didn't offer a standard faceplate.......?

-----odie-----

There may be a lathe similar to that in the AAW office in St. Paul.
Notice that the tapered accessories don't mention a Morse taper size. I demo on a line shaft driven lathe at a Steam Thrashers Reunion in Dalton, MN and that lathe has a unique taper that is somewhere between a #1 & #2 Morse taper.

I've long wanted one of those Barnes lathes, but they're out of my price range. I do think its interesting, with all the talk lately about being able to sit down to turn, that Barnes had that taken care of 100+ years ago.
One of these days, I'm going to make my own treadle lathe.

Back