• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

1st Segmented Attempt-Is this the way it should end up?

I know it's hard to see in pictures but I'm trying to determine if I'm on the right track. I recently made a Wedgie Sled and tried it out on a simple bowl with 1 segmented ring just to see if the sled was constructed correctly and it worked. The result seems to me like it was a success, but I'd like expert opinions from those who have been doing segmented pieces for awhile. What do you think? It's just a simple hollow form, but it's only purpose was to try out the whole cutting/gluing segments process.

Attachments

• image_67160577.JPG
    image_67160577.JPG
    414.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image_67180545.JPG
    image_67180545.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image_67148801.JPG
    image_67148801.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 85
Nice job Randy! With light colored woods, seeing the “joint” doesn’t mean it’s a bad joint, just the nature of the beast. Now let’s get that segment count up a little bit, lol!!

Very good for a 1st attempt. You must be doing a lot of things right. Many ways to do the process. Here’s a tutorial I did 7 yrs ago, it may help you with various process steps.

There are a lot of ways to do segmented design. I found software to be worth the cost to make design easier and much faster. There are 2 or 3 available. My review of one of them, SPP. Its still available and has been updated since.

Did you use an oil as finish? Oil will soak into joints and make them appear a little darker. A spray lacquer will not do that. Looks good.
Used a mix of beeswax and mineral oil I get from a friend. It tends to darken the wood, sometimes more than poly or oil. I can see why that would make the joints show up more although I don't necessarily think that it's a bad thing in some cases. This was an experiment in cutting and gluing up a segmented ring. Once I got the ring cut and glued up, it seemes a shame to waste it since it seemed to turn out well. I sanded top and bottom on my drum sander till smooth and then found 2 small walnut blanks I had, flattened the top and bottom of those and glued it all up. I was quite satisfied with the first attempt but wanted to make sure I wasn't "too" happy that I missed a problem.

Nice job Randy! With light colored woods, seeing the “joint” doesn’t mean it’s a bad joint, just the nature of the beast. Now let’s get that segment count up a little bit, lol!!
I will probably do some more 12-segment pieces, each a little more complex than the previous. I tend to be cautious and, although failure is generally inevitable, I get more from the experience when I'm successful with increasingly more difficult pieces. That's what I 've been doing with hollow forms and carving on the pieces. I don't mind failing but it's always more satisfying to be successfull and make progress.

The other approach with segments is to use a small layer of accent colored wood between each segment to outline the segment.
This technique makes each segment standout like a picture in a frame, a lot more work but the results are worth the effort.
You can also get creative with the wood grain on each segment to create patterns in the piece.
Creating a productive workflow is the hard part with segmented pieces, lots of tricks to making the process easier.

I will probably do some more 12-segment pieces, each a little more complex than the previous. I tend to be cautious and, although failure is generally inevitable, I get more from the experience when I'm successful with increasingly more difficult pieces. That's what I 've been doing with hollow forms and carving on the pieces. I don't mind failing but it's always more satisfying to be successfull and make progress.
There is no failure if you are learning on your segmenting journey Randy! By setting the bar slightly higher with each piece, your journey becomes increasingly exciting; don’t ask me how I now, haha!!

Back